The Institute was founded in 1993 under the name “Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals” (FBN) based in Dummerstorf and Rostock as a public-law foundation of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
In December of 2009, it was renamed to Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology. The institution has a long agricultural history. Back in 1939, the renowned Kaiser-Wilhelm Institute for Animal Breeding Research was
inaugurated in Dummerstorf. The FBN Dummerstorf uses most of the historic properties and carries on the tradition of the research site to this day.